Fall 2013-dark leaves

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ransom Fellowship

Can I just refer everyone to Ransom Fellowship?  Margie Haack and I should be friends.  But who wouldn't want to be her friend?  I did read this from somewhere on the website, and it resonated deeply with my heart's attitudes, which is why we should be friends.  She knows me because she's been here and apparently got through it well.  And I hope I get through it well too.  I also wish I could have her beautiful white hair one day too.  I digress.


"...I went through this time where I was extremely nasty to Denis (her husband) because he seemed to get to do all the fun things and I was sick of serving the tea and the tea-cakes and changing diapers while he sat in the living room with pearls of wisdom dripping from his lips. He could not ask a thing of me during that time because I completely unloaded on him. We had a lot to learn. I began to think about how much more fulfilled I would be if I had gone into medicine. And then I would have had money, too. You can see where all this might lead. What finally got through to me was a simple passage from Matt 20:26-28 “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave, just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” And then in John 13 where Jesus washed the Disciples feet, he asks them point blank: “Do you understand what I have done? Do you?” I had to answer, yes I do understand. And it pierced me to suddenly realize how very very destructive my attitude was. There were just no excuses against or around what God calls each and every one of us to do. I’m not only saying women here. I simply could not argue that I was the one exception to this calling and I could ignore that Jesus expected me to follow his example in all things including serving. It was hard to give up that anger. But it was so good for me and both of us grew through this time."


Want more of this good stuff?  See http://www.ransomfellowship.org/ or http://www.notesfromtoadhall.com/.  The Haacks and RF publish Critique and Notes From Toad Hall regularly.  They are always good, thoughtful reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment