Fall 2013-dark leaves

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Selfish or not?

My father is having open-heart surgery Monday. I want to be there but can't. My mind is swarming with what it would take to get to Mobile--take the kids or not? fly or drive? cancel an appointment we've been waiting for since January?

Anna's on her way now. Mom said last night that it's always been this way for her--having to do things alone. She's never lived near family. But A will be there this time.

It's never convenient to stop your life. It's certainly not convenient for Daddy right now. But how do you know it's just too much to "fenagle" to make something happen vs. I'm being selfish to not make it happen?

So I'm not going for now. But I want to. But I'm not.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you weren't able to be there today, but glad to hear he's doing well. I can relate to what you're talking about b/c I struggle with that too. I find it hard to distinguish between whether I'm being selfish not to fenagle and do everything possible to make it happen, or whether it's actually selfish to try to make it happen b/c of all the people I'd have to impose on for help with children, etc. to make it happen...

    ReplyDelete