Fall 2013-dark leaves

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Verbal/external processing/processor (disorder)

So I think out loud, and I'm currently very annoyed with this. But regardless, I can't seem to squash the need to do it. So in an attempt to defend myself (and others like me who work through our thoughts by saying them out loud) to myself, I googled "verbal processing." It came up as the suggestion "verbal processing disorder." Great, I thought. It's a DISORDER. Figures it's so obnoxious to everyone that it's a disorder.

 Then I looked up verbal processor. Better...

Then external processor. Jackpot!

 "External processors tend to process things by talking about them. A good word picture is to think of them having a verbal blackboard which they brainstorm their ideas onto by talking, and then they arrange and evaluate their ideas once they are out there on their verbal blackboard."

The problem with this is that it's generally considered wield to talk out loud to yourself. But I NEED to talk through things. If I don't, the words get all jumbled up and overwhelming to me like the other morning. So get over it, people. I'm a talker because I have to be.

And get over it, me, because if you don't, you'll explode. God is your judge, and he made you this way. Talk out loud to him if you have to. Dont be fearful of what other people think. It's just processing after all--nothing is organized and set in stone yet.

1 comment:

  1. if it makes you feel better, i can't even focus to pray unless i pray out loud :). i'm an external processor too. surprised?

    ReplyDelete