Fall 2013-dark leaves

Monday, February 14, 2011

Water and Love

Ever tried to push water away when you're in it?  When we were in 6th grade, my friend Lee Anne taught me how wierd it is that no matter what you do to try to get away from water, it keeps coming back. It's not like you can keep it away at all--even if you push a wave away, the water is still ON you because you're still WET, not to mention that the rest of the pool immediately fills up the empty space you made.

One year, when my heart had been bruised by a boy who I liked a lot--he broke up with me the week before Valentine's Day and two weeks before my birthday (can you say economically savvy, although more painful for me, but I digress)--my very dear friend, Rebecca, gave me a hand-written card for Valentine's Day.  Below is all it said.  It meant SO much to me to be reminded that the best and truest love I will ever know is the love of Jesus. 


Oh The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free
Rolling as a mighty ocean
In its fulness over me
Underneath me, all around me
Is the current of thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward
To Thy glorious rest above.

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Spread his praise from shore to shore
How he loveth, ever loveth
Changeth never, never more
How he watches o'er his loved ones
Died to call them all his own
How for them he intercedeth
Watcheth o'er them from the throne.

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Love of every love, the best
Tis an ocean vast of blessing
Tis a haven sweet of rest
Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Tis a heaven of heavens to me
And it lifts me up to glory
For it lifts me up to Thee.


I love the idea of Jesus's love surrounding me like the water in an ocean. I can't get away from it, even if I wanted. I am saturated in it. Not even Brian, who really, truly loves me, has the ability to love me that well.

Now, Jesus is not going to be your boyfriend or your husband for that matter, but his love satisfies us as only he can.  We were created to know him.  I'd love to introduce you if you don't know him already.

No comments:

Post a Comment