Fall 2013-dark leaves

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Funny thing

Sarah Frances, Catherine and I made granola together this afternoon while the littles were napping. I love teaching them things that I love to do, like cooking. And the granola is really yummy to boot!

So now they're working on their math. We took a good 2 month break from "real" math, i.e. addition and subtraction. They were so burned out, and the workbook we were using was super boring. We skipped to the back to the chapters on measurements, time, and money. In the meantime, I found a more fun, hands-on way to teach them add/subtr. that is making knowing their facts easier too.

Anyway, back to granola. The half-way timer went off, and I went in to stir it and return it to the oven. Maybe it's because the sun is out for the first time in a long, long time, but I noticed for the first time that the afteroon sun is streaming in through the side window onto the stove. It's never done that before. And how sweet of God that I would be there to see the beauty of sunlight in my kitchen today and appreciate it.

So my thoughts went crazy. One direction was to find it ironic that the God who never changes created a world where nothing is ever the same twice. It used to be that the sun came in through these great stained glass windows in the living room. Now it's in the kitchen. Tomorrow the Earth will have tilted a little more, and the sun will come in at even a little bit different angle. And one day it will warm up some and flowers will bloom again. And they will grow a little every day then begin to die a little every day, never the same 2 days in a row. You and I are created different from each other, but we are also different people from day to day. We are physically, emotionally, and spiritually changing daily.

Yet God--who created all these things into being--never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. How foreign to me. I don't know that I can understand what that really looks like, but I'm glad it's true.

So what's the significance in recognizing these things? That God, who never changes, created all things to change. I'm not sure...this is a new thing to know for me. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting thought, Rebecca...the Changeless God who is making all things new. Have you ever read a book called Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl by N.D. Wilson? The way your mind works, your thoughts remind me of it....I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't read that book. Sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete